Monday 30 June 2014

THE PROCESS OF DECORATING EMILIA'S NURSERY.

After scrolling through Pinterest for nursery ideas we took a trip to B&Q, Wilko, Next Home and some other shops to get some supplies, then I got to work As you can see the room was previously this ugly (IMO) shade of pink. I detest it so much and there were Disney Princess stickers all over the walls - it needed to go! I started by lining the outsides of the carpet and the bottom of the wall with masking tape and used some old towels to cover the carpet in the surrounding area. The first step I took was glossing the skirting boards to make them look clean and finished - I used a brilliant white non-drip gloss from Wilko which usually ranges from £5-10 depending on which brand you choose. I used a synthetic paintbrush to prevent shedding and long brush strokes to avoid noticeable marks. I allowed a couple of days for the gloss to completely dry and set (even though it says 12-24 hours to dry).



I then started to line the top of the skirting boards and outlined the ceiling with masking tape and applied the base layer of paint. We chose a Wilko's own paint called Pearl Grey which was a silk emulsion. For the life of me I don't know why I didn't go with matt finish, as I found that the silk finish was so awkward to work with - I'm not sure if it was the masking tape being so tacky or the paint being horrific but when I'd finished painting and went to take the tape off, some of the paint came off too. So note that you need to be extra careful when using silk paint, possibly use less tacky masking tape or do what i did and use a knife to cut where the masking tape end and paint starts, just to get a clean cut edge. I think in the end I applied 3 coats which was murder as I felt like I could still see the ghastly pink paint through each coat, but in the end I think it looked great.


We bought the curtains and light shade from Next Home which in total with my staff discount came to £30, which is such a bargain for the quality of the products. The pink throw blanket was £10 from Primark, its so cosy and softens the blow of the cold leather chair when I go in to do the nightly feeds! The white wicker baskets were £8 for 2 from Asda, we use them to put muslin cloths and baby toiletries in and I'm currently looking for some matching ribbons to tie around them as a finishing touch. The floating shelf was £9.99 from Argos and was an absolute NIGHTMARE to put up, I'm probably going to have to re-mount it as it's not really safe in the state it's in.


I received this beautiful picture at my baby shower, I believe it was from a little vintage boutique in Shrewsbury, it suits the style of the room so well, I hope Emilia will want to keep it forever. I was looking online for some 3D butterflies to put on the wall by the cotbed, these were so easy to put together and were only around £4 from Ebay. The cotbed (£95, Baby2Start), the cotbed mattress (£99, Baby2Start), the toy storage (£29.99) and the wardrobe (£80) were from Argos. I was originally going to get Ikea furniture as I think the quality is so much nicer, but some of the items were out of stock so I settled for Argos. This was a big mistake and I shall be replacing the wardrobe and toy storage when Emilia is a little bit older. The pink and white photo frame on the wall is from Next Home and was a gift from my mum from when I was in hospital, it's adorable and so creative. I believe it's called the My First Year photo frame as it has spaces for each month of your babies' first year of life. 


I love Emilia's nursery so far, it's taken a lot of time and effort to get it this far and I think it's very cute and suitable for her now and as she gets older. I'm still yet to decorate her name letters to go on the wall above her crib (which I'll probably show as a DIY post), to buy a rug to go either in front of her toy storage or the crib and I still need to buy a dimmer floor lamp or wall lamp to go behind the feeding chair for story time. Hope you enjoyed this post, stay tuned to see the end product!



No comments:

Post a Comment